29 August 2013

A series' name dilemma

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Now that I'm back to writing, I've had a new spurt of inspiration. And this particular inspiration comes in the form of the characters from a very old series of mine, the series that was called Their Circumstances before I gave that name away to the series currently named that. Did that make any sense? I hope so. 

So, yeah, now those characters want their stories completely rewritten, which is awesome. What is not awesome is that they no longer have a series name, as I gave it away to another of my series. So now I have no idea what to call the old series. No idea at all. 

Also, the characters want their stories written in the 1st person POV. I'm liking what I've written so far, even though I've never really written anything in 1st person POV. I tried changing it to 3rd, but that didn't work at all. So I guess it'll be 1st person POV for these characters. 

So far, the plan is for them to be a series of novellas. At least 20K a story is the goal. That should be more than manageable. The hope is at least 30K a story, but we'll see. So far, the characters are quite chatty in 1st person POV.

Still, I'm struggling with the series title. Their Circumstances was perfect for it, but it's also perfect for the series I gave the name to. I've contemplated Life's Ups and Downs or Home Is Where the Heart Is, but I'm not sure. Anyone have an input? It will be greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. Personally, I like "Home Is Where The Heart Is". Although it would be a seriously fluffy title for a stand-alone, for a series it seems like it would be a nice unifying phrase. "Life's Ups and Downs" seems sitcom-y to me. But that's only my opinion, always go with what you like best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, it does sound a bit sitcom-y. I shall have to put more consideration into the first one. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Hm, well what is the series about? What are the basic themes that tie them all together? I sometimes find making a bit mind-map of all the themes and concepts in the story (or series in this case) and combining them in a bunch of different ways until you get something works. Don't stress about it though, something will come to you!
    (Also I love how you talk about your characters like "they want this and that, and they won't be happy until I do it." Mine do the exact same thing. ^-^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's basically just the love story of a cast of characters. All is not well all the time, and they break up or have to move away, but they'll find their way back together again in the end. There's also age gaps to consider, traumatic pasts to deal with, and its also about family. I don't really know how to explain it, but like that. :-P A mind-map sounds like a good idea, I'll sit down and do that one day!

      (Nice to know mine's not the only ones! ^_^)

      Delete
    2. That sounds nice! I don't know, what about like "Returning Home" or something like that? I do like the idea of referencing home in it, but yeah, it definitely depends what themes you wanna use to tie it all together. I really like it when I can manage to come up with a title before I can start something because it helps me figure out exactly what I want the story to be about and tie it all in.
      Titles are hard though! >.<'

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that's exactly it for me to! I like to know the series title, even if I don't know the book title, though I prefer to know that too. ^^
      They're SO bloody hard! >_<

      Delete
    4. Also, that was a good suggestion! I'll think about it for a bit. ^_^

      Delete