12 August 2012

What do you do when you're tired of them all?

That's to say, I'm tired of my current stories. I want to write something new and fresh and exciting! But I don't really know what it could be. I have several new ideas, or old ideas who's come back to me recently. At the same time, I don't want to abandon my WIPs or planned projects. I want them written, I'm just tired of obsessing over them and not getting anything done.

When I woke up earlier I wanted to write that sci-fi story I've had planned for a while. Now, when I sat down on the computer, I wanted to get back to contemporary. I wanted to get back to my Scandinavian stories, to finish Midnight Sun or tackle some more stories in Seasonal Love, or get started on that other series of short stories I have planned. 

But I'm tired of short stories. I want to be able to write longer, deeper stories. My main problem with Midnight Sun right now is that it's too bloody short, I want more in it, and I know what more I want in it as well, I just can't bloody come up with where I want it.

I want to continue on Returning Home; that one is planned to be longer than any of my other contemporary stories. But I'm not really feeling that one either, at the moment. As the title says, I'm tired of them all. 

So what do I do? 

I want to write. I haven't written anything in forever. Not even on the blog. It's all been sadly put away while I dealt with moving twice in three weeks and finishing my evil day-job. Now that I want to get back to it, it seems I can't. I can't make up my mind; I can't focus. It's irritating, to say the least.

What do you do when you're tired of all of your stories, but still can't start up any new ones either?

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate that feeling. I usually write something short and fast (like a Sunday Snuggle for livejournal) so I can think about something different, actually get something done, and take a break but still only work on it for a day so it won't interfere with my other projects or turn into yet another open doc on the queue. Glad it sounds like you found something you can write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, writing a snuggle is probably a good idea! I'll try that once my newfound inspiration burns out ^__^

      Actually, writing a post like this tend to work. When I get my frustration out, the motivation comes back ^__~

      Delete
  2. I know the rule of thumb is finish what you start no matter what or you're in danger of bouncing from one story to another and not finishing anything. Some stories though fatigue me and I need to take a break and work on something else. Some stories are just frustratingly difficult for me to write and I need to take a step back before I figure out how to make them work. Sometimes I start writing and think it's a story but it's not. It's just an single concept, or scene or character that I'll be able to use somewhere else just not where I thought I was going to use it. So I guess for me there are lots of reasons to take a step back from a story and write something else.

    I also do a lot of bouncing from idea to idea before something actually turns into a full piece. Usually I know when I'm doing research or taking notes if something is going to turn into a story or if this is just a cool idea i need to save for later. Sometimes don't know until I sit down and try to write it though. I usually have a couple false starts before I write something new, where I think I'm going to write X but then X doesn't work so I move onto Y but then Y doesn't make it past the note taking stage so I move on to Z and that's ends up being what I manage to write.

    So I guess the best I can offer is keep kicking ideas around and something will stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is a good idea. I kicked some ideas around after writing thi post, and something came to me! It was a rewrite of a really old story, but I'm still writing, and it's mostly new stuff. It just follows the same plot line as the old story. ^__^

      Delete